This book written by Russel Smith and published by PACKT Publishing in July 2010 contains detailed step-by-step instructions for implementing Least Privilege Security and related management technologies.
It has solutions to the most common technical challenges and Microsoft best practice advice. It also covers techniques for managing Least Privilege on the desktop.
About the Author: Russell Smith specializes in management and security of Microsoft-based IT systems and is a Contributing Editor for CDW’s Biztech magazine and writes regularly for industry journal Windows IT Professional. Russell is also contributing author to Supporting and Troubleshooting Applications on a Microsoft Windows Vista Client for Enterprise Support Technicians from Microsoft’s Official Academic Course (MOAC) series of books published by Wiley and Sons. he is an independent IT consultant and MCSE with more than ten years of experience. Russell’s recent projects include Active Directory Security Consultant for the UK Health Service National Programme for Information Technology (NPfIT) and Exchange Architect for Wipro Technologies. Russell also has extensive experienceas an IT trainer.
What you will learn from this book
- Explore the principle of Least Privilege Security and implement it across different versions of Microsoft Windows
- Overcome the most common technical challenges of implementing Least Privilege Security on the desktop
- Apply Least Privilege Security to different categories of users and get buy-in from management
- Identify any potential compatibility problems with Least Privilege Security and software installed on networked PCs using Microsoft’s Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT)
- Prepare a desktop image with Least Privilege Security enabled from the start and deploy the new image while preserving users’ files and settings
- Configure User Account Control on multiple computers using Group Policy
- Modify incompatible applications and achieve the best balance between compatibility and security by using Application Compatibility shims
- Deploy applications using Group Policy Software Installation (GPSI) and Windows Installer and create MSI wrappers for legacy setup programs
- Install per-machine ActiveX Controls using the ActiveX Installer Service (AxIS)
- Deploy default Software Restriction Policy (SRP) or AppLocker rules to ensure only programs installed in protected locations can run and blacklist applications using SRP or AppLocker
If you are a System Administrator or desktop support staff who want to implement Least Privilege Security on Windows systems, this book is the right choice for you. It covers on 465 pages almost everything you need to know about Least Privilege Security for Windows 7, Vista, XP.